Sunday, April 25, 2010

Mr. Southard goes to Washington

Soon. I haven't posted one in a while. But I am going to Washington! Twice this coming summer. Once for a seven day trip and then I will work for Senator Mitch McConnell later this summer.

But in recent news - Immigration Reform! Arkansas passed reform that gives police officers the power to stop anyone and ask them for proof of their citizenship. Many people are saying that this raises questions of racial profiling. Does it?

It may. It allows officers to stop anyone "suspected of being an illegal alien." This could lead to officers pulling over or stopping Hispanic Americans. I don't know what to think on this issue. I know that the law means well, but it is kind of racial profiling. But what other way can a state stop illegal immigrants from taking advantages of services that legal ones need?

I think that this calls for review. Not to condemn the act, but to understand that Illegal Immigration is an issue that is growing in this country. I think that if we focused more on controlling the borders, that would stifle the need for this kind of action. The state is trying to make headway on an issue where the federal government has stopped. I admire their wanting to protect American Citizens, but wonder if there are other methods of achieving the same goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment